Saturday, March 14, 2009

Mexican Food Part 2

Wow! It's been 5 months since my last (and only) food installment. Time flies. But I have been taking lots of yummy food pictures, so I've got some of my favorites ready for you.

First, we have come into berry season, believe it or not. A few miles down the road is a Driscoll's berry farm. We've been seeing the plants growing for months, and now the berries are here. I can get a kilo (2.2 lbs) of strawberries for about $1 at a fruit stall in the tianguis (street market). The raspberries and black berries are about twice that. We love it. We eat berries in or on something 2 or 3 times a week. The only pain is washing them. We wash all our produce in iodine, just in case. Berries start to go bad soon after washing so we have to eat them fast.

We also have been having a huge lime harvest. Every morning 10-20 on the ground. We've made tons of limeade and frozen lime juice ice cubes. Can't get enough. These were from 3 nights.

Milli's and Charlie's new favorite drink is this soy based, guanabana flavored drink. You say it like the Sesame Street song Mahnamahna. We just love when Charlie asks for it. It's hilarious. We sing the name whenever we drink it.

My new favorite thing to order at a restaurant is ceviche. It is typically an appetizer. It is a kind of salsa made with fish or shrimp and put on a tostada. But the meat is not cooked with heat, only with lime juice. Obviously, you should trust the maker, because it can make you sick if not fully marinated. I find I am always safe getting the shrimp kind, because the fish kind sometimes has too much lime. This one is from a stand at the Ajijic tianguis, it is fish and exactly the way I like it.

Another Mexican delicacy is this corn on the cob. It's usually sold in the plaza mayor or at other places where there may be a crowd. You take your chances with it, because it may be tender or it may be tough. You can also have it cut off the cob and put in a cup. Various toppings are offered; lime, salt, cheese (not sure what kind it is), cream, and of course chili. Dave likes cream and cheese. If your lucky, it will be sold out of a wheelbarrow. This one was not.

Last, one of the kids favorite things to order at a restaurant is Chocomilk (don't say the k). Yes, it's just chocolate milk, but they put lots of chocolate and blend it, I think. Whatever they do, we think it's tasty.

I hope you've enjoyed part 2 in our tour of Mexican foods. I promise to be more timely on the next one.

2 comments:

The Snow Queen said...

Carrie the cheese is normally cotija cheese. We eat it up here too. We like corn with mayo, butter, and cheese. MMMm it makes me want to hear the lady with the corn bell come by. She rides a three wheeled thingy and sells corn out of the back. Gotta love Hemet, like a little piece of Mexico. I love ceviche too. You'll have to post a good recipie for me! I also want a good tomatillo salsa recipie. I can't get it to taste quite like I remember it.

emlizalmo said...

Yum to all of it...even the ceviche. I am not a fan of raw fish, but somehow it all gets cooked and tastes fantastic! You'll have to bring a great recipe home. Our strawberries cost 8 bucks at Costco yesterday. BUMMER! LOVE all that produce. You guys must be in total heaven. :)