Friday, January 23, 2009

Back up to around Christmas

I wanted to post about 3 Kings Day. I think it was on January 6th, or 5th. We did our stuff on the 5th, family night. First, there is this bread called Rosca that they sell in the stores. It has dolls of an infant Jesus hidden inside. You cut it open (the cutting is supposed to represent the danger that Jesus was in from King Herod) and whoever finds the dolls is supposed to make tamales in February for Candlemass Day. Not exactly sure what that is yet.

Here were our doll finders: (plus me)Not sure if we'll do the tamales, but you never know. I'd love to know how to make them.

We also read the part of the Christmas story about the wise men. I don't think the kids had ever heard that part before. Except maybe the "We three kings" song.

Also that night, the kids are supposed to put out a shoe for the 3 kings to leave a present in. In some places they do this in place of Santa. We were unprepared, so skipped this part. Hardly needed more presents.

I loved the focus on the Christmas story that this added and of course the extension of Christmas.

6 comments:

Maria Babin said...

Carrie, I love reading about the Mexican traditions. Some I'm familiar with, some are new. I learned how to make tamales over Christmas. It's fairly simple, just time consuming. I'd love to hear of your experience if you do make them!

Maria Babin said...

Carrie, I just made a post on my blog, just for you!

Becky Bean said...

I'm glad nobody accidentally ate baby Jesus!!

Unknown said...

Hi to all the Reed family. It is so interesting to read your blogs and see the pictures. Your Mom told me about their visit. Wish I could have joined you. I had a few Mexican students who told about their customs. Ask someone to tell you what expectant girls are supposed to do when there is an eclipse of the moon or sun.
Love to all. Grandma H.

emlizalmo said...

It seems that there are so many cool traditions there...more than here. Maybe that is just because I am used to all these. I can't wait to come have some tamales at your house when you get back! :)

The Snow Queen said...

I love it! I've actually eaten the bread before and thought that it was a leftover loaf from Christmas. It's awesome to hear the tradicion. My family has a little cabin in San Felipe so we go there often. They also have condo's in Cabo San Lucas so we DROVE down the baja penninsula every summer to stay for 3 weeks. Ahhh the funny stories. I'm sure your kids will talk about this forever! Awesome. I would say RAD but that would date me.