Friday, November 21, 2008

What's Dave been up to?

First, I know that many of you have been reading my blog, waiting for Dave to make an appearance. Well, he informed me a while ago that even though he may have consented to comment on my blog in the beginning, he has now decided that it's my blog and he won't do it. If everyone wants to stop reading now, I'll understand. Or better yet, we could start a petition. Although, since Dave is usually for anything that's unpopular, might not work. If anyone has any ideas let me know. My usual methods haven't worked. ;)

As you know, Dave still has to work while we're here, so he spends most of his time (as most husbands do) working.

For a few months Dave did his 12 hours of work a day on this:
But he finally gave in and bought a nicer chair, and this is where he spends most of his day. Our life here may be simpler, but we still have got to have 2 monitors.
About 3 days a week, Dave gets some exercise by running about 4 miles on the Ciclopista alongside the highway.
On Fridays, he usually takes part of the afternoon off and either runs or drives to Ajijic and takes in a movie.
This last week he saw the 3:30 show of Traidor. HSM3 was sold out.

Dave goes out to lunch a couple times a week to get out of his cubicle and works on one of his lifetime goals. He wants to walk into a restaurant and have someone say to him "The usual?" There are two restaurants here that may help him achieve this goal. One I've never seen, so can't include a picture, but the other is Loncheria Brissi.
It's a nice little place owned and run by a man and his wife. It's named after their one-year-old daughter. Dave goes there so often, he is currently helping them with their advertising. We supply them with avocados from our tree from time to time, too.

Speaking of food, Dave's friends know that he is somewhat of an expert on chocolate cake. Don't think his quest for a good chocolate cake in Mexico has been fruitless. His current favorite is called Chocoflan. It is a layer of chocolate cake with chocolate flan on top. I thought about including this in my food series, but this cake really belongs to Dave.This is one that I made, it's not as pretty as one you'd get in a restaurant, though Dave thinks just as good.

Chocoflan recipe
Cake layer:
Devil's Food Cake Mix
3 eggs
3/4 cup oil
1 1/3 cups water

Flan layer:
6 eggs
2 (140z) cans of Sweetened Condensed Milk
2 (12oz) cans of Evaporated Milk
1 Tbs vanilla

Grease bundt cake pan (I make mine in a stainless steel bowl).
Mix cake layer ingredients and put in pan.
Mix flan layer ingredients in a blender and pour on top of the cake. It will mostly sink to the bottom of the pan.

Put in a 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes, or until cake doesn't jiggle anymore.

On the days when Dave doesn't go out to lunch, he usually grills something on the mini-gas grill that he picked up on one of his trips to the states. Turns out it is virtually impossible to find a gas grill for under $300 in Mexico. So he got this little one and we use it a ton. He'll grill a brat or some chicken for lunch and read a book outside in the terrace. What a life.

I don't know if Dave would agree with my assessment of his life and routines here in Mexico, but since he's declined to comment, he's lost all veto privileges too. So there.

5 comments:

Heather said...

We're glad Dave doesn't contribute to the blog. We never want to hear from him or especially see a picture of him. We had enough of him for six stinkin' years here at home.

(This is so Dave can go with the "unpopular" option.)

Spencer and Heather

MaryClaire Brown said...

you're cracking me up with this carrie. we sure do miss you guys!

Unknown said...

Is that a new iMac I see on Dave's desk? I guess being in Mexico hasn't drawn him away from Apple's new products. :)

emlizalmo said...

Holy crap...give me some of that choco-flan! Carrie...you need to make (and give me) a cookbook when you get home...filled with all your fabulous new recipes. HSM3 sold out...bummer for Davey.

Reed's Rat Race said...

Mmmmmmmmm.....Must have Chocoflan!

I've wondered how much better fresh avos are than the ones sold in the grocery stores. I bet they are delicioso!