Sunday, November 30, 2008

Thanksgiving

I hadn't planned on doing Thanksgiving this year. The kids had school. Turkey is really expensive. It's hot. (not that I'm complaining). And with no family here it just didn't feel like Thanksgiving.

But some friends called us to see if we wanted to join them at the Lake Chapala Society's annual Thanksgiving dinner and we thought...why not? But plans changed when the LCS dinner was sold out.

So I invited our friends to come over here and enjoy a chicken dinner. They had also invited the missionaries to the LCS dinner, so we invited them too.

Then Dave said it just wouldn't be Thanksgiving without turkey, so he quickly ran to Walmart and found a $35 turkey and some fixings.

But I'm glad it turned out the way it did. We had a good dinner. Everything turned out except the apple crisp that I burned (still not used to a gas oven that has a temperature dial that reads 1,2,3,4,5 as the settings). Conversation was good and the kids had fun.

After dinner, we had an appointment with a photographer for my Birthday family picture. Haven't seen the pictures yet but will post some when they are available.

Now for the gratitude part. I'm so grateful to be here. I read once that the reason time seems to go so faster and faster when you get older is because every day gets to be more and more the same. Nothing happens that is memorable. In my experience this is totally true. I'm grateful for a year where time seems to have slowed down. Though the kids have grown and changed a lot here, their youth doesn't seem to be running away so fast. And though sometimes (usually grouchy afternoons with Amelia) I wish it would speed up again, I know I will always remember this year together.

2 comments:

Kate said...

That was such a nice post. Glad you had a nice holiday! And I love reading about your beautiful kids. They're growing up so fast!!

emlizalmo said...

Great Thanksgiving! I agree with you Carrie...change is good, especially together with your family. I think so many people are a little jealous of this experience you are having. And you're so awesome...you soak up every minute!